Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Beds

My mom was at a thrift store when she found a bunk bed for $20. She bought them for me. They were n really bad shape. The previous owner had carved their name in it. It was covered in some sort of yellow goo.  There was gum and popcorn kernels stuck in it.



As you can see from the pictures they were pretty bad. The first step I took was washing them with Pinesol and warm water. I then used Goo-Gone on the parts that were really nasty and sticky.

I knew I didn't want them to be bunk beds, because my boys like to jump off any and all furniture. I knew it would be an accident waiting to happen.

The way the beds were set up was to have the larger one on bottom and the taller one on top. It also had the  slate looking side facing the back, so it would have been against the wall. So I drilled holes in the slate side to make it the front.

Next, I filled in all the holes I no longer needed. The holes to connect top bunk to bottom and the old holes from turning it around. I filled them in with wood putty. I also filled in the places that had been craved out.

After a few days I sanded all pieces down with my hand sander using 100 grit sand paper.

I didn't need to prime the pieces as they were white and looked very even.

I got some furniture paint from Home Depot in black. I ended up putting on 4 coats of paint to make it even. I then sealed it with 2 coats of Polyacrylic.

And here is what they look like.




I was very happy with the way they turned out. 

I also refinished the nightstand pictured. I got it for $10 at the same thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment